Welcome to Growbox Hill

Welcome to Growbox Hill
Welcome to Growbox HIll!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Drainage fields...

Looking outside my office window today and hoping that crappy weather keeps holding off so stuff can get a bit dryer for yardwork.. Been staring at our drainage field.. It's a big gross puddle that will be a mosquito haven come warm time.

I'm thinking I should help out the drainage field.. and help out some bird feeding needs at the same time.  So after a bit of digging around I've come up with a list of flowers I think I'm going to try. I opted to stick with annuals, of the high self sowing persuasion to a great extent.

Rocket Larkspur
flowering tobacco
daisies
china asters
corn flower
sun flower
zinnia
flossflower
spider flower
snapdragon
aster
black eye susan
cosmos
marigolds
bachelors button
four o clocks
annual cockscomb

Hopefully I will discover that a few of them are suitable to the environment, lol.

All this gloom and wet has also started turning my mind to mushrooms. I find Sporeprints on Youtube has a lot of super easy DIY mushroom setup videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85IWNO33J0&playnext=1&list=PLEB54C04B393B4707 is an excellent example. I'm hoping in a year or two we will be starting to harvest all sorts of mushrooms for fresh eating and drying.
Still not quite sure how I want to handle attempting truffles. Given some of the information I've run across it might be really hard. But I really want to try it, and if worst comes to worst, I'll still have some hazelnuts, and I wanted those anyway :)

Haven't cooked jack diddly yet today.. Still not sure what I'm making for dinner either. So, a little bit of terminology today :)
A tisane or infusion is made when boiling water is poured over herbs and allowed to steep.
A decoction is made when a herb is simmered in water.
A distillation captures the essence of an herb through evaporation and condensation of steam.
An extract is made when the herb is soaked or fermented in alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment