It was a glorious and sunny Easter Sunday. In the 70's, nice breezes.. A little too sunny, got a little pinked, hehhee. Today was just as warm and nice, but sort of overcast. So it's been a couple of days in the yard setting up some spring beds.
First off, a couple pics of how nicely the plants on the front porch are doing:
On to the beds. First I raked out all the leaves to the end of the stalls, general cleanup. Then I started with setting up potato bags, and actually remembered to take pics along the way... I used 45 gallon contractor bags because that's what I had in the house.
Of course I didn't just leave them on the straw! But pics after they are buried is pretty pointless, heh. I snuggled them down into the straw so they were in goodly contact with the dirt. Then a nice bit of leaves over the top for extra coverage. Hopefully now it's just sprinkle in a bit of dirt and a heap of straw till the bag is full :)
On to the next bed...
That was enough beds for Sunday... I was feeling a bit pink and so decided against busting into the fenceside bed. Set out the beginnings of the next chunk of bottle border and did the weeding out of the area of the fairy garden where I want to plant in some of those milkmaid nasturtiums.
So today was Monday and since it was so nice out today, it was time to crack open the fenceside bed. A project I was not looking forward to. But not using that side is just a total waste of great growing space. But it meant moving the compost pile, at least a bit.. whine, whine..
This is what the heap looked like before. One side mostly manure that is getting dug into, the other mostly where I've been dumping tons of scrap for the last couple years. I wanted to open up a channel on the fence side and plant in my early spring goodies, but sooo didn't want to really start moving manure yet.
Now, I don't plan on that wall working forever. The pipes holding the boards in place are just hand crammed in, and trying to garden over a hill is a PITA. I do plan on training the plants to be inside the fence for picking as much as I can. But I think quite a bit of that pile is going to be moved to create the beds for the tomatoes, peppers, and bush beans. Eventually I think that side will become a whole bed much like the end has.
Of course this will mean a moving of that particular compost area to another part of the yard, and I already know where I'm going to relocate it to- the raspberry bed. It's a mostly gravel base, and the few raspberries there suck. So out they go and compost area goes in. I think eventually if the area can be built in right, it might become a raised bed for asparagus.
I've been thinking a lot about veggie row over the years, and now I'm sort of settling into the notion that the bee patio area will become more of a set it and forget it beds like asparagus, garlic.. stuff you don't have to tend quite as much. This years beds of tomatoes, peppers, and beans are going to be built up on the other end of veggie row, closest to the house.
Not all of my tomato and pepper seeds came up. Three kinds of peppers and a couple kinds of tomatoes. But all my pots of pepperonchini came up and seriously need some dividing- hoping to keep every single one of them. Canned goods last forever, so I'm hoping for as huge as possible with this one. And the manzano is the other pepper that is coming up. Which is extra nice, because this is the one pepper that isn't really a pepper and so will not cross with my pepperonchini- I know I will get pure seed :)
I can deal with the non sprouting of a couple lines of tomatoes- just means I can concentrate more on the ones that came up. Need to divide a couple of those too while I still have a really good chance of doing so. When my sister is out next in May, we can set up the beds for those.
Hmmm, much done, and many plans to come..