Welcome to Growbox Hill

Welcome to Growbox Hill
Welcome to Growbox HIll!

Monday, January 20, 2020

Not dead yet...

No, not dead yet... just been away for a while again. Had another summer that kind of burned me out- got garden fatigue. Autumn saw me ripping up a foot and being laid up for weeks, and winter was strangely warm and dry till a couple days ago. I need to make some changes for my health, and want to really be focused on my yard this year. Maybe even start posting here more regularly again.

Saw a regular doc for a checkup for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. Got the flu from another patient there and was sick as hell for a week. Dropped a few pounds though, lol.

Took a try at microgreens again... and pretty darn good for growing this dead time of year. Been trimming various greens and herbs into our dinners for a couple weeks now... corn shoots and red clover are particularly tasty.

Been cooking of course. The instapot I was gifted with last year is still awesome. Got to splurge a wee bit at Christmas with food and ordered a bunch of different Spanish and Latin seasoning stuffs. Very tasty stuff.... I love import foods, lol.

Been doing some different stuff too, sort of.

Friday I tried out a couple of those Pillsbury like store brand pizza crusts. Pretty good, though they ended up bigger than I thought they would, so we ended up with a pizza worth of leftovers, lol. Did one pizza traditional....
used a 8 oz can of tom sauce, warmed up a bit and added a packet of Knorr salat kronung italienische art... Knorr from Germany, they have little 10g packets of salad dressing mixes, wonderful things. This was the Italian version. Also added in a goodly pinch of Italian herbs, and a few grinds of black pepper. Let it cool, and it made a slightly thickened sauce that was easy to spread.
Over the sauce I layered some mushrooms, onions, fresh garlic, spinach, and a lot of cheese. 
Pizza 2 I did a base of frozen creamed spinach, topped with shrimp, onions, slippit (it's an herb), and a mix of cheeses. Would have been better if I had done a bechamel for home creamed rather than doing a frozen thing, but hey, didn't feel like it, lol.

Saturday I did cheddar sausage and cauliflower casserole. The sausages were ok, but kind of soft like hot dogs rather than the brands usual when I get other kinds. The sauce for the cauliflower had sour cream, mustard, cajiun seasoning, onion, splash of milk and a bit of cheese... but the amount of mustard called for was a bit overpowering and it ended up being mustard cauliflower, and not the best. Otherwise good, so I'll just adjust that ratio next time, lol.

Sunday night was really good... tried out a packet of the stuff from that Spanish/Latin box of stuff. Provenzal's Cau-Cau Stew mix. This was from Peru, and very tasty. Traditionally made with tripe (fucking hell no), but also is commonly done with chicken or seafood. I opted to do chicken. Brought the mix to a simmer with water, tossed in cubed chicken... let simmer till chicken was done. Add in some diced taters and simmer till taters are done. Add in a drained can of peas (didn't have frozen on hand, that would have been better). Serve over rice. Light and herby, with enough heat to let you know it's there. Glad I ordered 2 packets, lol.

 
While sick with the flu I had a soup that kicks Mrs. Grass out of the pantry... also from that same tasty box... and also found it at the local Mexican foods store for cheap so I don't have to order it again :)



BTW, here is where I ordered that tasty box of stuff from.... Amigo Foods

Tonight I pulled some cube steaks out of the freezer... think I'm gonna do the kefta style with carrots and broccoli.. and maybe couscous or quinoa, not sure of the grain yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment