Welcome to Growbox Hill

Welcome to Growbox Hill
Welcome to Growbox HIll!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Arg, Mama N!!!!!

Ok, so this time last month it was so nice that I thought it was ok to start seeding in the solarium, which is a good thing. Some seeds to need lots of indoor time first. This time next month is the mark of the last frost around here. Today small snow and hail, cold and high breezes.

With the chilly day making me think more on cold food than spring food... Good thing the pantry is still stocked with cool weather comfort.

Took an overly large quart of bean soup I made out of the freezer, and a cup bag of mixed greens. The greens I got a huge pile of on last day clearance at the supermarket, so I bought it up, blanched it up, and bagged it up. Had half a raw butternut squash left over from scalloped goodness the other night.
So I chopped the squash up, drizzled it with oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and I'm roasting it off. Once it's good and roasted it will get tossed into the reheated bean soup. The greens I set to a slow defrosting simmer with about half a bottle of beer. Once the greens are done up, I will add the bean soup and heat through, add in the squash, and yay soup goodness!

And I'm making biscuits to go with it. Simple bisquick ones like my mom used to make. I decided to kick the things a bit by adding some garlic powder, butter buds, paprika, turmeric, and parsley to the mix. After the squash has roasted off I will adjust the heat and make up the biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment