Welcome to Growbox Hill

Welcome to Growbox Hill
Welcome to Growbox HIll!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just some weedin and seedin

Whew, apparently I cooked my back a bit yesterday. Got sunblock and still can feel the cook in the sun today.

So, it's been some in the shade work today. Got the poppy bed on the south side of the solarium weeded out. Crap there was a ton of viny bits to yank out. But I did find a second poppy among all those weeds. I'm gonna keep my eye on them and snatch that seed when it's ready. It will be re-broadcast all along the same area. Think I might dig up the bulb action that's there and move it to the east side of the solarium. Really encourage the poppy bed to become lush again.
Tee-hee.. had an odd find while weeding there, a pair of handcuffs.
This does confirm that I have to put the breadseed poppy bed somewhere else. Not quite sure where yet.
I'm thinking maybe using them for part of the border to mark off the edge of where the steel box area will be. Or lol, probably more accurately, the edge of the orchard that I can't plant past :)

Got the well patch fairly well cleared out. Planted in all the cauliflower seed I had. Violet, green, yellow, a pointed romanesco.. And scattered a couple types of whites on the edges. Hopefully something will come up. cleared a section of tall grass by the chicken pad, and plunked in some sweetcorn. Scattered some red and brown popcorns down by the raspberry patch.

Don't think there will be any root crops this year. I'm starting to think the only area fairly free of root crap is where veggie row is planned. So, looks like next year at least for that.

Anywho, now it's time to feed the birds.. And us too. Still got a ton of veggie salad fixings in the fridge, so I think it's veggie salad and chicken fingers for dinner tonight.

I like..
a cucumber, peeled
3-4 roma tomatoes
couple peppers, and color works
some minced onion and garlic
handful of fresh mushrooms
A carrot or two, maybe shredded.
Some olive oil, italian herbs, s+p..
Let chill for an hour or two to self marinate.

Made super easy honey mustard for the chicken..
3-4 heaping spoonfuls of mayo
couple big squirts of grainy yellow mustard
a teaspoon drizzle of honey
bit of salt and white pepper
half tablespoon or so splash of lemon juice
dash of Worcestershire sauce
mix well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment